Sunday, April 22, 2007

It finally rained

I checked out the Vistor's Center and low and behold there was a walking tour leaving in 10 minutes. So, I joined in. Among the many interesting things I learned on the tour is that, during the American Civil War, many Manchester citizens wrote letters of support to President Lincoln. This is quite notable since much of the cotton harvested by the southern slaves was transported to Manchester as it was a large producer of textiles. The impact of the abolution of slavery had a significant impact on the Manchester economy. None the less, there is a statue of Lincoln in a square near the city hall. I did not get a picture of it, but I will try and make my way back and post one soon. Also, I need to post a picture of the City Hall as it is an absolutely beautiful building. Very gothic.

Today I checked out the art museum and I will definitely be going back - its free and right across the street. What could be more convenient? When I left the museum, it had rained, so now Manchester has lived up to its reputation. We will see how the weather holds for the rest of the week.

The internet service at the hotel was down for most of the weekend, which had me feeling a bit isolated at times. But, here it is 11:00 (when I should be getting to bed), but I thought, let me check one last time - and it's up. I feel like an addict getting a fix! What did we ever do without the internet??

More tomorrow.

No comments: