Thursday, April 26, 2007

My magnetic personality

The room keys at my new home are imbedded with microchips (as opposed to the credit-card like strips that are found on most US hotel keys). You need a room key to access the elevator (or "lift" as the Brits call them), which is a nice safety feature. The other cool thing is that, once you enter your room, you place your room key in a small box on the wall right inside the door. The main purpose of this is to turn the lights on and off (the other purpose, I am sure, it to remind you to take the key with you when you leave). I think this is a great energy- saving feature and should be more widely adopted. Of course, it does not prevent me from sleeping with a few lights on (occupational hazard - I have, on occasion, woken up in the middle of the night and had absolutely NO idea where I was. Quite terrifying, I assure you).

Anyways, what does all of this have to do with my magnetic personality, you ask? Well, since checking in last Wednesday (I have now been here a week and a day!), I have had to have my room key re-keyed or replaced six times. The front desk is baffled and it has become somewhat of a joke. The best my friend Paul and I can determine is that my magnetic personality must be decoding my room key. What other explanation could there possibly be?????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Auntie Faith! One question, how does putting your room key in a box help you to turn the lights off? Also, I feel bad that you had to replace your key six times!Hope you are having fun!

Faith said...

Hi Kate! Thanks for the note. The box must be somehow connected to the lights in the room. So, when I put the room key in, the lights go on. When I pull the room key out, the lights go off. It's pretty cool.