Friday, April 27, 2007

Pub Night

Back in college, "Pub Night" was generally Thursday nights. That's because, by the time we were old enough to drink (legally, that is), we were seniors and had pretty much arranged our class schedules to have Fridays off. A three-day weekend - EVERY weekend? Those were the days. Here in England, ANY night is pub night, but I guess the Friday night following payday is an especially popular pub night. And since most Brits get paid at the end of the month, tonight was the night. However, the non-smoking ban has not taken effect in Britain yet (I am told it is sometime this summer, although exact dates differ by who you ask), so I was not prepared to come back to my room smelling like an ashtray. :-(

However, I had a good excuse for leaving early, as my good friend Sherry has promised to give me a call tonight and I can't pass up a good chat fest from home. Especially since the only ringing phone I hear these days is my wake up call each morning!

Somehow, I feel quite confident that next Friday will be a "Pub Night," too.

4 comments:

Runner.Dude said...

Save a pub night for my visit. Ask your friends where we can get real ale, steak and kidney pie, or yorkshire pudding. Any or all of the above will be appreciated.

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Do you remember that I met my husband of (soon-to-be) 14 years in a pub/dive college bar? Do you remember I was wearing my pjs? So, what pjs will you be wearing to your next pub night? ;-)

Anonymous said...

what I "need to know" is whether faith will be taking down phone numbers on her arm... in lipstick?

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Hi porkchopsinc!

All I can say is that if she *should* decide to go the lipstick route, then she should most definitely invite YOU back for the follow-up "pub night" as you seem to be a lucky charm of sorts!!! ;-)

Love ya!!
Jane