Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Alarm Clocks

At home (and by home, I mean the greater US of A), I have used my cell phone as my alarm clock for several years now. It works for me. Now, I have always wondered why the snooze function is set for 9 minutes. Why 9? Why NOT 10? I know its not just my cell phone that has the "9 minute snooze" - I have had alarm clocks that did the same thing. If anyone can shed some light in this, I am listening.

Now, why do I mention this now, are you asking? Well in Manchester, I am not using my cell phone - in fact, it has been turned off since I got on the plane in Boston. So, I am using the hotel's wake up call service. Now, if I set the alarm for 6:15, the call comes in 6:10. And no, this is not a case of my clock or watch being 5 minutes slow. The voice on the other side of the wake up call TELLS me they are waking me up at 6:10. Now, I ask you - if I wanted to be woken up at 6:10, wouldn't I have set the wake up call for 6:10????? However, the snooze function is an even 10 minutes. :-)

3 comments:

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Must be metric time...

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Okay, wait, I just realized they aren't on the metric system there. I guess they're just a little confused. Must be all that driving on the *wrong* side of the road...hahaha

Anonymous said...

Guess your having some trouble with your alarm!