Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Inferno


I was going to label this post "fire," but then I saw a newspaper headline on my way home last night that said, "120 Firefighters Battle City Inferno" and I thought that "Inferno" might make a catchier blog title. So, what am I talking about? Well, on my walk to the office yesterday morning, I could smell smoke, but could not tell where it was coming from. Well, the closer I got to the office, the more smoke I could see and smell. Turns out, one of the old Victorian mill buildings just a block from our office had caught fire sometime over night. As I walked by, they were hosing it down from one of those really tall ladder trucks over the building. Here's a picture - the red arrow is pointing at the building I work in, so you can see how close we were.

As of this morning, you can still smell smoke in the air (although not as bad as yesterday), the roads are still blocked off (its a "diversion," not a "detour" over here) and you can still see a bit of smoke coming out of the building.

4 comments:

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Wow! How scary, Faith! I'm glad everyone is okay.
And in an semi-unrelated note...how did you put an arrow in your picture? That is so cool!!!

Anonymous said...

That is scary Auntie Faith! Hope everyone in that building is alright! Just like patjrsmom said, how did you put that arrow in the picture? Looks neat!

Anonymous said...

What do you NOT call the firemen??

Faith said...

Erin - don't call the fireman - late to dinner. Of course!

Jane and Kate - you can use Microsoft Paint to put the arrow in the picture, although I cannot claim to have done that this time. A friend of mine from the office sent me the picture that way.