Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Peace Garden


When I was taking my walking tour of Manchester a few weeks ago, we started right outside the Visitors Center, behind the Town Hall. I'll post some pictures of the Town Hall as it is a beautiful building. But, this is about the Peace Garden. Evidently, a few years ago, Manchester's City Council declared the City of Manchester to be a "nuclear free zone." So, they erected a Peace Garden and placed this statue to commerate the event. Since doves are the international symbol of peace, there are quite a few of them in the statue. However, locally, this statue is known as the "woman with the pigeons." Now, I'll tell you - I have seen some of these pigeons and they are among the fattest pigeons I have ever seen. One of the young men on my tour, when the guide told us this was a nuclear free zone, commented - "No Bombs Allowed." I thought that was quite funny and will dovetail nicely into my next blog. :-) Hah! Dovetail! I didn't even catch my own pun at first!

No comments: