Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Catching Up Part 2 - Edinburgh


I decided that if I had to work on my birthday and the 4th of July, that I was going to need something to look forward to. I was working really long days at that point, so I booked a weekend at the Marriot Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club in Edinburgh, Scotland. I took the train up to Edinburgh after work on Friday and returned on Sunday night. Edinburgh is gorgeous - I would go back in a heartbeat. The scenery is amazing, the people are friendly, the food was delicious and I was able to relax for a few days. I was lucky to have my room upgraded at the hotel and they put me in a corner suite.



Me and the Guard at Edinburgh Castle


The castle overlooks the entire city


Of *course* I had to fit in some shopping - this is the inside of a tartan weaver right outside the castle. I bought several yards of various plaids. I have NO idea what I am going to do with them, but how can you go to Scotland and not buy tartan and a good bottle of Scotch Wiskey? Did I mention the tastings at 10 AM? That'll wake you up!



The Royal Mile descends from Edinbugh Castle down into the city. It is lined with shops and restaurants. One of the nestest things I saw on the Royal Mile was a museum of sorts called "Mary King's Close." A "close" was another name for a street. In old Edinburgh, the streets were extremely narrow, the buildings with many stories high and people literally lived on top of each other. With no indoor plumbing, waste and refuse were literally tossed into the streets where it ran downhill to the lake below. The lake is now a park and the flowers were beautiful - must be all the natural fertilizer from centuries before! Here's a link to the website in case you might be planning a trip to Edinburgh - a word of warning - this tour is not for those who leans words claustorphobia.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

No comments: