Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Sunday - Morning


There are many pictures from our weekend in Knysna, however, most of them are on Dan's camera and I need to download them to my laptop so I can post them. However, there are one set of pictures that never made it to Dan's camera, so I will share them with you now.

One of the "suggested" activities we were given for this weekend was a visit to the "Tsitikamma Canopy Tours." Tsitikamma is one of the national forests east of Knysna and is technically in the Eastern Cape Province. You need a reservation, and the only booking we could get was for Sunday morning at 10:00. Dan woke up feeling rather sick to his stomach, so we agreed this was not an appropriate excursion, given his condition. You will see why shortly. So, I headed out on my own as it was an hour's plus drive from our hotel. Dan went back to bed. :-)

So, what is a "Canopy Tour?" It is the opportunity to see one of South Africa's indigenous forests - from the top down. Suspended from a series of cables, you cross from one platform to another - 10 "slides" in all. I would like to say that you gain an appreciation for the trees and vegetation on the forest floor, but it truly goes by too fast. I was more concerned with braking in time so I did not crash into the next platform.

Here are some pictures....



Suiting up....

















Yes Mom, I wore a helmet!










Suited up and ready to go.














Yeah, well - we kept going.







You could call this "tree surfing"









A safe landing!







Stay tuned for more pics - including "Easter Sunday - Evening"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! THAT LOOKS AWSOME! I hope you had a wonderful Easter! We missed you! (While you where flying to tree to tree, I was on the ground; ) and got to eat tasty honey baked ham and see my cousins

Jodi said...

hysterical! love the suiting up all the way through to the end! Great job bringing us with you!


Go Sox!

Jodi

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! I would love to do something like this, although I draw the line at bungee-jumping or skydiving. Will we be seeing either of these activities in upcoming posts? :)