Thursday, March 6, 2008

I need a replacement.....

Many of my blog readers know that I am a regular platelet donor at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. Because of my extended assignment in Africa and the potential that my extra-curricular travels may take me into a malaria zone while I am here, I will most likely be not be able to donate for the next year and half (you are automatically deferred for one year after you have left a malaria zone). This is difficult for me, as donating at the Farber has become part of my routine over the years and the staff at the Farber have become my friends (I promised I would at least stop by when I get back!). I am hoping that I can convince some readers to consider donating platelets - if the Dana Farber is not convenient for you, there are many blood donation centers around the world that collect this live-saving blood product.

I suppose I should tell you why this is so important. I am going to plagiarize the brochure from the Dana Farber here, but I am pretty sure they won't mind:

Platelets are the clotting agents of the blood, which help to control bleeding. Cancer patients, trauma victims, and transplant recipients are only a few of the many patients who may require platelet transfusions. At the Dana Farber alone, they transfuse more than 8,000 units of platelets a year. And that number is not decreasing....

The only source of platelets is a healthy donor - there is NO substitute. Because platelets only have a shelf life of 5 days from the time they are collected to when there are transfused, there is a constant need for donors.

Platelets are collected via procedure called apheresis. Basically that means they draw the blood from your arm, spin it through a centrifuge to spin off and collect the platelets and then they return the red blood cells back to you. It's actually a pretty cool process and takes about 90 minutes. You get set up in a comfy bed with lots of blankets and you can pick out a movie to watch on your own screen. Then they give you a snack and a drink and you're on your way. Because your reb blood cells are returned to you, you can actually donate platelets as often as every 2 weeks, whereas there is 56-day waiting period to donate whole blood.

I started donating platelets when I was in my early 20s and wanted to make a donation to many of the worthwhile organizations in the Boston area. I could not afford, financially, to contribute as much as I wanted to, so I figured I could always donate my blood. Over they years, I have come to realize that there is no greater donation than giving of yourself (literally!)and there are so many people who will benefit. What requires only a couple hours of my time will directly impact the health of several people within the next 5 days. Medical research and technology has delivered tremendous achievements over the years, but they cannot reproduce blood products. They rely on the human donors to meet this need.

I hope some of you will consider this worthwhile experience. If you have questions about the process, I would be happy to give you my perspective. Better yet - call the Kraft Family Blood Donor Center at the Dana Farber and they will answer any questions you have. Their number is: (617) 732-6620 or you can email them at: blooddonor@partners.org - and tell them I said Hi.

No comments: