Thursday, March 13, 2008

Kaapstad

Another thing we have noticed in South Africa is that the highway signs do not include directional indicators (that is, north/south/east/west). Rather, they use the names of cities as an indication as to what direction you are headed in; e.g., this way towards Cape Town, this way towards Paarl. That's all well and good if you know the area. For temporary residents like ourselves, it means we go nowhere without a map and even then we sometimes get confused. So it should come as no surprise to me when I was informed the other day by the project manager at our client when I told her that those directional indicators would *really* help me out, that in SA, they make it even harder by randomly switching the language of the signs between English and Afrikaans. "Really?" I said? Uh huh. As it turns out, Kaapstad is Afrikaans for Cape Town. Now see, Dan and I just thought that was another town that was not on our map. No wonder we were confused.

No comments: