Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Prayer for Fathers

When my Grandpa died, back in 1974, my Dad found the following prayer among his things. He read it at my Nana's funeral a few years ago as the prayer could just as easily apply to mothers as fathers. I post it here in honor of Father's Day:

If fathers, by and large, weren’t pretty admirable men,
we would find it difficult, if not impossible to pray the Lord’s Prayer without having the words turn sour in our mouths.

But we do not find it difficult at all; we find it easy.

And that is so because countless fathers, by their kindness to their children, their watchfulness over them and their sacrifices for them, have endowed the word “father” with lovable meanings.

2 comments:

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

What a beautiful prayer and what an awesome memory of your grandpa!

Anonymous said...

I remember when you said that prayer. Whoever wrote it, must have been a poet of some sort. It is really pretty.